Upper Dicker Church

Holy Trinity Church, Upper Dicker

The parish of Upper Dicker was carved out from the parishes of Arlington, Hellingly and Chiddingly. The land described on an ancient map as the "Dykar Waste" was given by Lady Amherst from "Sackkville" land. She also donated a sum of money towards the building of the Church and Vicarage. The parish includes Michelham Priory.

The church is built of Sussex flint and Caeon stone. The flint was obtained from the Downs at Alfriston and was carted by "Tranter" Piper to the site. The builder is not known but a brother of the Tranter was certainly involved. The architect, Mr Donathorne of London, designed the church in a pseudo-Norman style and the building cost was £1600. The church was consecrated on 12th December 1843 and attended by over 600 people.

The first incumbent was Rev. Owen Emeric Vidal, who later became the first bishop of Sierra Leone.

Many houses in Upper Dicker village date from the 1900s, following the residence of Mr Horatio Bottomley, who liked to acquire land and kept a large staff. His widow donated an ornamental Bible, which is kept in a glass case in the Baptistry, and the Lectern. Her grave can be seen at the east end of the churchyard.

Later additions to the church include the memorial east window and the porch on the west front of the church.




Church Lane, Hellingly BN27 4HA  |  01323 440 450  |  csa.hellingly@gmail.com